2004-07-09

The World Movies Channel

One of the "movies" channels of the pay TV service I am subscribing to is World Movies. In very simple terms, it shows non-Hollywood movies. This channel is provided by the SBS, an "ethnic" TV station in Australia.

As I wrote in my page on Kieslowski's A Short Film About Love, "I first encountered Kieslowski's films in the early 1990s when living in Australia. SBS, a publicly funded broadcaster originally envisaged to provide news and entertainment to those whose mother language is not English, offers lots of non-English art films. I remembered on every Thursday, it would show a "Movie of the Week". An old gentleman, David Stratton, would spent a few minutes introducing the film to the viewers. David's opinions are always objective, concise and unpretentious. I learnt a lot from him. He also co-hosts a programme called The Movie Show." Unfortunately, he left SBS towards the end of last year and the "Movies of the Week" show has since been transplanted to ABC, another public TV station in Australia.

I am sure I shall be watching more "world movies" on this channel in the future.

沒有留言:

發佈留言