2006-08-24

The dying days

Watched Downfall (Der Untergang) last night. What an experience!



It is often said that this film "humanise" Hitler and some people have problem with that. But in my opinion, to humanise Hitler is a necessary step towards understanding the crimes to humanity he committed.

Watching this film reminds me of a review of "Mao: The Unknown Story" by Jung Chang and Jon Halliday I wrote a year ago. For some reason, the review has recently received hundreds of hits. This is quite surprising considering its age and the fact that I wrote it after reading an edited extract rather than the entire book (I have not read the book nor do I intend to).

Anyway, the point I tried to make in the review was, you can't begin to understand the complex personality of Mao and the atrocious legacy he left by trivialising him through broad-brush demonisation.

And the same is true for Hitler.

沒有留言:

發佈留言