2016-09-20

最新村上春樹免費網讀英譯短篇: A Walk to Kobe

- Haruki Murakami: A Walk to Kobe (Granta 124: Travel, Summer 2013)

本篇寫1997年,阪神地震兩年後,在神戶一帶長大的村上春樹從西宮步行至三宮,比對參照童年回憶。

In May of 1997, two years after the massive earthquake in Kobe, I hit upon the idea of taking a leisurely, solitary walk from Nishinomiya to Sannomiya in downtown Kobe. I happened to be staying in Kyoto at the time for work, and continued on to Nishinomiya. On the map it’s about fifteen kilometres west from there to Kobe. Not exactly a stone’s throw away, but not such a gruelling distance, and besides, I’m a pretty confident walker. 
I was born in Kyoto, but soon afterwards my family moved to Shukugawa, a neighbourhood in Nishinomiya. And not long after that we moved again, closer to Kobe, to Ashiya, where I spent most of my teenage years. My high school was in the hills above the city, so naturally downtown Kobe was where I headed when I wanted to have a good time, specifically around Sannomiya. I became a typical Hanshin-kan boy, the term referring to the area that lies between Osaka and Kobe. Back then – and probably nowadays as well – this was a great place to grow up. It’s quiet and laid-back, with an open, relaxed feeling about it, and it’s blessed with the ocean, mountains and a large city nearby. I loved going to concerts, hunting for cheap paperbacks in used bookstores, hanging out in jazz cafes, and enjoying Art Theatre Guild new-wave films. My favourite look at the time? VAN jackets, of course.

原文出自《邊境·近境》的最後一篇:走過神戶 (未讀過原文又很想網上讀讀的話,試試這裡

Open Culture網站一向收集村上春樹的免費網讀英譯作品。連最新的A Walk to Kobe在內,共8篇,其中包括The New Yorker刊登的六篇短篇小說。另外一篇,雖也曾在The New Yorker刊登,現已只能在The Guardian免費網讀:The Folklore Of Our Times(似乎尚未有中譯,待考#)。


------------------------------
# 初步考據結果,不管是The Folklore Of Our Times,還是另一版本,收入Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman小說集的A Folklore For My Generation: A Pre-History Of Late-Stage Capitalism,皆未曾譯成中文出版,但網上能找到有心人中譯:我們時代的傳說 (譯言,譯者:藍熊船長)(坦白說,譯文水平不高,可以的話,還是讀原文或英譯吧)

沒有留言:

發佈留言