2004-06-29

No broadband for 6 months (II)

In a previous post, I wrote that for some bizarre reasons, I have no access to ADSL broadband internet service in the apartment unit I am living (cable is also not available).



This is due to the so-called "pair-gain" technology which Telstra has been using for providing phone service. This technology is not compatible with ADSL and a lot of apartment units throughout Australia are affected. For more info on "pair-gain", read Telstra: The Pair Gain and RIMS saga continues.



I have been using broadband in Hong Kong for the past six years or so. Not even in my dreams did I imagine that I would be forced to use the snail-paced dial-up technology again!

2 則留言:

  1. So, can you use broadband service by subscribing to cable TV?

    回覆刪除
  2. I am a subscriber of "cable TV" - Foxtel - here. As far as I know, the digital signal is not transmitted by cable, but by satellite. I was told that a third possibility for broadband Internet other than cable and ADSL is satellite but it is rather expensive, and I have ruled this out as an option.

    回覆刪除