2005-07-23

An experiment in photography

In photography, I am a typical point-and-shoot guy. I don't care much about equipment or technique or composition. A digital camera, with fully automated settings, in the jeans pocket is good enough for me.

But I had an interesting experiment in photography over the past few weeks. It all began with taking pictures of the 3-storey new house, which I moved into 2 months ago. When placing the sofas in the family room on the first floor, I had to take into consideration how they appeared when one was looking at the room while walking up the stairs - the family room came into view when one's eye level gradually approached the ground level of the family room.

This gave me the idea of photographing the family room with the camera placed on the floor. This was the result (after cropping out a large area of floor tiles captured in the photo). I found the perspective quite novel and interesting:



A few days ago, when I was photographing the sunset at Mindil Beach, Darwin, I realised that I could apply the same technique again: placing the camera just above the sea level. The result, to me, was fascinating, primarily in how the sea water - and the reflection of the setting sun - was captured. They are presented in pairs. The second of each pair was taken in the "normal" way.





I am sure that this is an established technique and has a fancy name, which I am not aware of. But to me, it was quite a bit of fun trying something new.

沒有留言:

發佈留言