2005-07-31

mobile computing?

Although my main computer is a laptop, I usually use it in a fixed location. So, you could say that it actually functions as a desktop.

Given my addiction to the Internet, I used to think that there was no point in mobile computing unless/until I could access the net in "mobile" locations reliably, cheaply and safely.

Now that I have installed broadband wireless connection, I have been using the laptop away from the fixed location quite a bit lately.

However, experience so far tells me that mobile computing still requires major compromises, given that battery life is just 2-3 hours (with maximum screen brightness).

My idea of mobile computing is that the computer is always on, and the Internet connection is always on too. The latter can now be achieved easily (though not necessarily safely), but as for the first, I am afraid I may have to wait for a few more years before battery hours can run into double digit (i.e. allowing full day usage and overnight recharging).

Until then, mobile computing for me is still an empty promise.

2 則留言:

  1. I've been doing kind of mobile computing (or you may call it Internet anywhere) for quite some time with my Treo. I've purchased a new Treo (Treo 650) by trading my old Treo 600 in. The present Treo 650 toy is pretty good in terms of Internet access speed (even faster than dial-up connection) and the screen resolution is super (i.e. 320x320, considering that I'm using a mobile device). I'm connected both to my GMail account, icq, MSN Messenger simultaneously wherever I'm.

    回覆刪除
  2. not a bad idea. i may be asking too much, but to me mobile computing also includes the function of mobile storage and treo is probably not up to it right now. waiting for the son of ipod and treo i guess.

    回覆刪除