2005-07-03

My niece has just finished uni ...

... and is vaguely interested in pursuing a career not quite related to her degree. This has led me to think back on what I was like at that same point in my life.

I chose "science" at matriculation because I thought boys should study science. But when I entered university, I had no interest whatsoever in studying any "science" degree, so I enrolled in social sciences. And somehow I decided to choose economics rather than psychology as my major in year two.

When I was about to leave uni, I was convinced that I would either be a teacher or a journalist. But it turned out that after spending a short time in the editorial role, the magazine I worked for folded and the first job I got was as an economist in a bank. And the next 18 years was history.

So it turned out that while I planned to pursue a career not quite related to my degree, I actually spent the best part of my life working in the same industry which was directly related to what I studied. Of course, there are also be countless of cases where instead of practising what they learnt, young graduates moved along rather different career paths.

The moral of this story, as far as I am concerned, is that "certainty is beautiful, but uncertainty is more beautiful still".

2 則留言:

  1. Our life is beautiful and mysterious! We don't know whether our decision at this point of time is good or bad for our future.

    My elder son got admitted to a newly established 2-year-old secondary school in mid March. After evaluating his chance to get into our "dream good branding school (Kowloon Wah Yan)" to be pretty slim, we took the offer from the new school.

    Last Tuesday we got the secondary school placement allocation result and learnt that some of his classmates got admitted to the "dream school". I was shocked and tried to blame myself for not working hard to get a place for him in that school - First he got shortlisted for an interview with that "dream school" in Feb but I "thought" he could not be selected. Then last Tuesday I could have brought him back to that dream school again for another interview but I didn't. One of his classmates went to the school for an interview on Tuesday and got an offer. In fact, I made a call to Kowloon Wah Yan on Monday if they would interview potential students but the answer was "NO".

    My son Jason is happy with both the "dream school" and the new school! To make myself feel better, I tell myself repeatedly that a new school may bring some "surprises" to his life! Who knows his destiny? He, himself, holds his key!

    回覆刪除
  2. Kowloon Wah Yan is a great school. But there are many other great ones as well.

    You are so right. Jason himself holds the key to his destiny.

    回覆刪除