2005-08-11

MediaMan

I have been having fun using MediaMan, a media cataloging freeware developed by a Shanghai-based Chinese guy. It can catalogue your collection of books, CDs, DVDs ... by drawing data from all Amazon sites. So, not only will you get detailed information about a book (say), but also the book cover (works most of the time).

It also claims to be able get information by using your webcam as a barcode scanner. This feature is really nice if you have a large collection, although I have not had any success with it so far. May be my webcam is just not high quality enough.

It's a lot of fun using it, especially when you view your collection as a virtual shelf. I won't try to catalogue my entire collection though, since it would take a hell lot of time, it does not cover Chinese items (which means roughly half of my collection can't be catalogued), and, for books, it usually only draws information on the latest edition (so the information and the cover may be different from what you actually have).

The screenshot on the left shows the "virtul shelf" view, with 12 books in the collection. As you can see, book cover photo for 2 of them is unavailable. Some book covers are different from what I actually have, since mine are not the most up-to-date edition.

沒有留言:

發佈留言