2005-08-26

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice, Skype and Google Talk

Friends of mine have been talking about and actually using Google Talk just a few days after it was released. This says a lot about the brand power of Google.

I am not a friend of text messaging. But I have been using Yahoo! Messenger for voice messaging from time to time, just to save on the telephone bill. Its conferencing feature involving more than two parties is also valuable. But the voice quality can be quite mediocre, especially when the webcam is used at the same time.

Recently, it released a new version, Yahoo! Messenger with Voice, which basically does the same things, except that it now has a talking feature which closely resembles a telephone call. I guess it is targeting users of Skype and other similar software. But my experience shows that voice quality has deteriorated further.

So I tried Skype. I have installed it long ago but had never used it. Well, it is just like talking over the phone. I also discovered that even when the Yahoo! Messanger webcam is used, the voice quality of Skype remains excellent.

So, for me, at least in the near future, Skype would be used for phone calls over the Internet, Yahoo! Messanger for webcam only. I would give Google Talk a miss. Not that I think Google Talk would be no good. But the fact is, you need to have friends and relatives on the other end to install the same software in order for it to work. So, unless there is any compelling reason to do so, I wouldn't want to bother others with having some new software to be installed and configured.

4 則留言:

  1. I heard about Skype for quite some time but I don't have any intention to use that ... 'cos to me .. Internet is more on text ... and the beauty of instant messaging is that you're connected with your friends but you don't have to talk continuously ... there is no dead air in text chat but for voice chat ... dead air can be killing ...

    But perhaps I should give Skype a try given that you're also using it ... let me try it out to see how it's like sin ... is it free by the way?

    回覆刪除
  2. yes, it's free for internet-to-internet calls.

    unlike you, i find text messaging terribly "mo liu"

    回覆刪除
  3. Good ... free stuff is always the best ... haha ...

    My preference for text chat is that I'd like to minimize bull shit time (you know during a phone call probably 40% of the time are wasted) ... so whenever I do text messaging I only say whatever is needed. So actually that's not a chat ... haha ... but I agree that if we choose to chat for a long time, voice is definitely better than text. Have a nice weekend Joetsang.

    回覆刪除
  4. weekend means nothing to a retired old man like me. in fact, i tend to do nothing and stay at home during weekends, because that's when others go out and have fun.

    my impression on text chat is, again, different from yours. i think in text chatting, most of the exchanges are just bullshit. it's not like writing emails, where you don't necessarily expect the recipient to be online and answer back right away. in text chatting, one usually writes bullshit just to maintain the "online" atmosphere.

    voice calls are usually more to the point.

    回覆刪除