2007-04-11

A Long Way Down lets me down

May be I am just too straightlaced, I find Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down neither funny nor witty.

The four suicidal characters are supposed to have very different backgrounds, situations and personalities. But ultimately they are just the same since they are all Nick Hornby. Maureen and Jess, in particular, are unbelievably contrived.

I only managed to finish it because my friend Cathy posted a review of the book on her blog some time ago and I wanted to know whether I agreed with her or not.

- Metacritic reviews
- Listen to Nick Hornby on His New Novel, 'A Long Way Down' on NPR

2 則留言:

  1. I told you the second part of the book was lousy. You shouldn't have wasted your time on it if you don't like it. :P

    回覆刪除
  2. Well, the one thing I have more than enough is time :-)

    回覆刪除