2004-10-15

Google Desktop Search

For those who like to try out the latest and greatest, here comes Google Desktop Search:

"Google Desktop Search will retrieve your email in Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express; files in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and text; your website history in Internet Explorer; and your instant message chats in AOL Instant Messenger. In other words, if you've seen it on your computer screen, Google Desktop Search can likely help you find it. Simply put, it's like a photographic memory for your computer."

Since it is a brand new product (I just installed it 15 minutes ago and it is still indexing my computer), I need time to evaluate how good (or no good) it is. But I already know for sure that at present it does not support searching web pages you've been to using other browsers, like Firefox, which is now my default browser.

Talking about Firefox, I am convinced that it is a superior browser, but I also can't live without IE, since some pages can only be opened by it. Moreover, the fact that the majority of web surfers are IE users means I need to test my own web pages with it. If you are facing the same situation, a tiny "extension" is handy - IE View. If you want to open a page using IE when you are browsing with Firefox, just right click and choose "View this page in IE". Simple.

沒有留言:

發佈留言