2009-02-01

Krugman, Hayek and Kung

My ex-colleague and good friend Francis asked my opinion on Hans Kung's The Catholic Church and which books by Paul Krugman and F.A. Hayek to read.

Hans Kung's The Catholic Church: A Short History is generally regarded as a masterpiece. Despite his obvious authority on this subject, I didn't enjoy this book very much (a bit boring to be precise).

Paul Krugman's books are usually very accessible. A good starting point is The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008, which was originally written almost 10 years ago on the economic crises in Asia and Latin America. He has expanded the book to analyse the current economic crisis that America (and the whole world) is facing. For a good introduction to the "new trade" theory which earns him the Nobel recognition, try Geography and Trade.

You may also consider reading his manifesto: The Conscience of a Liberal.

Unlike Krugman, most of Hayek's works are "scholastic", with the exception of The Road to Serfdom, which he wrote for the general public.

For a collection of his best essays, I recommend The Essence of Hayek.

----------
● Taking Hayek Seriously (The Home Of The Friedrich Hayek Scholars Page)
● F.A. Hayek: Why I Am Not a Conservative
● Friedrich August von Hayek's Nobel Prize Lecture: The Pretence of Knowledge

● Paul Krugman Page (The New York Times)
● Paul Krugman's Nobel Prize Lecture: "New trade", "new geography", and the troubles of manufacturing

2 則留言:

  1. Thanks for your quick response. By the way, I finished "1587, A Year of No Significance" 6 months ago, and finished it the 2nd time 2 months ago. Very interesting book indeed. But I did not plan to buy anymore from the same author, as I guess, that one is his best. Any comment?

    Before I get hold of your recommended readings through online bookstore, my target will be this one, 晚清大變局 by 袁偉時. Central Library has a copy. I learned about this when I was listening to a radio program late last night. Seems to be quite good.

    回覆刪除
  2. 黃仁宇的書,我覺得也不錯,但尚未能領會其偉大之處。除了萬曆15年外,你也可以試試其他作品,例如中國大歷史。個人比較喜歡赫遜河畔談中國歷史。

    大歷史 小讀者:
    http://jtblog.joetsang.net/2007/03/blog-post.html

    袁偉時的晚清大變局,3月返港時會買來讀讀。

    回覆刪除